Unveiling of Momentous Monarch Conservation Action Plan & Groundbreaking for New Pollinator Habitat on Fairgrounds
WHAT: A diverse coalition of sixteen organizations and agencies with ties to agriculture have been working for more than two and a half years to develop a practical plan for monarch conservation.
A press event will provide highlights to this plan and outline numerous successes that Illinois agriculture has had in sustaining monarchs in the recent
past, while identifying strategies to meet the goal of increasing future pollinator habitats.
The Illinois Department of Agriculture (IDOA) will also be announcing plans to construct new pollinator habitat areas around the Illinois State Fairgrounds, while holding a groundbreaking ceremony.
WHERE: Illinois Department of Agriculture building
801 E. Sangamon Ave., Springfield, IL 62702
(Gate 11 of Illinois State Fairgrounds) – Parking available in Lot E
Event will be held in front of IDOA building, near main entrance (in case of inclement weather, event will be held in IDOA auditorium)
WHEN: Monday, April 22, 2019 at 9:30 AM
WHY: Efforts to help save the monarch butterfly are a worthwhile endeavor. While there is no single solution to the decline of the monarch butterfly population, by working together, groups, businesses and individuals can help increase monarch populations to sustainable levels. This press event will demonstrate how Illinois agriculture has been a leader on the monarch issue and will continue to play an important role in the future, while providing ideas for all citizens to become more involved in making a positive difference in pollinator conservation.
• Be the first to learn about the Illinois Agriculture Monarch Action Plan and receive a copy of the plan
• Hear from Illinois Department of Agriculture Director John Sullivan and Illinois Department of Natural Resources Director Colleen Callahan
• Interview leaders from the coalition of groups involved in the Illinois Agriculture Monarch Action Plan
• Hear from farmers who have established pollinator habitat on their farms
• See where IDOA will be improving the Illinois State Fairgrounds through the establishment of pollinator habitats
Groups involved in the Illinois Agriculture Monarch Action Plan
• Association of Illinois Soil and Water Conservation Districts
• GROWMARK, Inc.
• Illinois Agriculture in the Classroom
• Illinois Corn Growers Association
• Illinois Department of Agriculture
• Illinois Farm Bureau
• Illinois Fertilizer & Chemical Association
• Illinois Milk Producers’ Association
• Illinois Natural History Survey
• Illinois Pork Producers Association
• USDA Farm Service Agency
• USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service
• United States Fish and Wildlife Service – Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program
• University of Illinois Extension
• University of Illinois Extension Pesticide Safety Education Program
• Waterborne Environmental